Rogers 2011-44 TB106R8Sc1
Leo Freeman Rogers (b. Jan 6, 1921, d. Nov. 7, 2005) was born to Luther Oliver Rogers of Valdosta and Mamie Leola Smith Rogers originally from Quitman, Georgia. He married Eunice Idell. During WWII, he served in the 3rd Amphibious Corp in the Marines as a Private 1st Class. His family reported that he served as a gunner and participated in the campaign at the Guadalcanal. His US Marine Corps Motors Vehicle Operator’s Permit dates November 1, 1942. This document is housed in the museum as well as his uniform with the WWII Victory medal, Asia Pacific ribbon with one star, the honorable discharge patch, the Marine collar disks, his private 1st class patches and his 3rd Amphibious Insignia still attached to his Marine uniform as a statement of his proud service for his country. Kenneth Baird is shown here donating his father-in-law’s uniform. Leo Freeman Rogers is buried in Riverview Cemetery in Valdosta, GA.
Scruggs 2004-020 TB 36R10Sa1
In 1942, he graduated from Bombsite Maintenance School at Lowry Field in Denver, CO. He was stationed in Clovis, New Mexico and Pueblo Ordnance Depot at Pueblo, Colorado which was an ammunition facility. There he met his future bride, Alla Ruth Johnson. From there he was stationed at David- Mountain Field in Tucson, Arizona.”He was in charge of the bombsite” his daughter Fran Scruggs Daniel said in a telephone interview this year. “He stayed in the United States and on the ground.” She also explained that he was also called back for this same duty during the Korean Conflict.
The photo taken here in his uniform reflect his service during WWII and shows his 2nd Army Air Force sleeve insignia, while his Air Force uniform shirt, archived in the museum and shown below, was worn during the Korean conflict and shows his promotion to Master Sergeant. He and his wife were able to move back to Valdosta where he worked for Atlanta Gas and Light Company. He is buried in Sunset Hill Cemetery.
Shiver 87-503 TB 39R9Sb2
Shiver, Jesse Judson ( Feb 3,1908- August 9, 1971) was born to Henry June and Sarah Lula Shiver. In 1940 Jessie is listed in the US Census working at the Bird Hospital in Valdosta, GA as a librarian. On April 30, 1943, he mustered in the Army at Ft. McPhearson. Attached with the 838th Ordnance Depot, his company was first stationed abroad in Gloucestershire, England and later attached to the 3rd US Army Division which moved from England into France, Belgium, and Germany. His Ike style Army issued uniform shows three oversees service stripes and his rank as a T-4. His military record shows him discharged November 20,1945.
After the war, he lived in Valdosta on Georgia Avenue and owned Shiver Tire and Service Station. He and his wife Mary George (1906-1996) are buried in Riverview Memorial Gardens in Valdosta, Ga.
G.L. Smith, UK# TB36R10Sa1
Within our archives is a uniform labeled at G.L. Smith. This uniform has a inside pocket labeled ” Made especially for G.L.Smith and dated 10/6/38 between WWI and WWII. The collar pins signify Army infantry division and the sleeve insignia is the 88th Army Infantry Division. The museum is still searching for information on this person. If anyone has information pertaining to this uniform, please contact the museum.
Tillman 2005-036-91 TB 91R9Se3
Jerry Duncan Tillman (b. July 30, 1917, d. April 30, 2005) born to Lowndes County residents Gordon Isaac and Elizabeth MacPherson Tillman, enlisted in WWII to become a Seabee. He was assigned to the 12 Naval Construction Battalion involved in the Aleutian Islands Campaign, Alaska in 1943. While attached to the 20th Naval Construction Regiment Survey Detachment, he helped build a support base in the Leyte Gulf.
The Tillman Collection at the museum is quite extensive with several unusual pieces. Within this collection, his naval uniforms show an early and late version of the Seabee sleeve insignia, a shirt back pockets and side zippers. A cold mask and a cold hat as well as leg shields are also included in this collection. His naval issued pea coat is on display in the main floor of the museum. His information and photo can be found in the Yesteryears Valdosta Visions 1995 Calender : A Family Album of World War II Memories Book One page 57 located on this web site https://valdostamuseum.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Part-3-1995.pdf
In the 1960’s, Jerry Duncan Tillman worked for the United States Government in Africa as a Foreign Aid Controller. In the Susie McKey Thomas Vertical File Collection at the museum, the Valdosta Daily Times reported that his job in Africa included meeting educational and medical aid, agricultural education, and overseeing road building. While in Africa he collected African Art. For more information see the Tillman Gallery in the Annette Howell Turner Center for the Arts in Valdosta, Georgia.
Tomlinson 71-135-1a TB 100R8Sd4
John F. Tomlinson Jr. (July 8, 1925-October 2, 2006) was born in Stockton, GA. and served as a dental assistant during WWII. He was denoted as Red Cross on the right sleeve of his uniform above the red chevrons. His WWII Navy Third Class Chief Petty Officer Uniform is currently on display in the main floor of the museum. This includes a dress blues shirt complete with an older style side zipper and three gold “hashmarks” on sleeve indicating a year and six months oversees duty, pants, and silk tie.
In 1956, Dr. John F. Thomlinson Jr. established the Thomlinson Chiropractic Clinic located on Slater Street in Valdosta, Ga. where he continued to work until his death in 2006. His wife Vera Solomonickoff Thomlinson was a Claims Examiner for Moody Air Force Base. He is buried in Sunset Hill Cemetery. He was a founding member of the Civitan Club and a member of the Lowndes County Historical Society.