Special Textile Collection-Evacuation

The items shown below are in our special textile collection racks. They are organized so that in case of a disaster these textile racks are handled first, thus we call them our evacuation racks. These items are in their boxes in loose  categories but the boxes themselves on the rack may not be in the same category. They are listed here by rack and box number. The items themselves will also appear under the proper category on their corresponding page for easy location for researchers. Only one photo of each item is shown here but more photos and information  may be found on their proper catagory page by clicking on the blue linked words and scrolling down to the proper item(s).

Rack 1 Evacuation 

TB2 R1 Evacuation

 1980-286-09 Abildgaard Cape

This item is very fragile and should not be removed from the box without the support. This beautiful black silk cape from the late 1800’s features a standing collar of pleated silk ribbon followed by a row of the black scallop lace and a row of pleated ribbon. The front is decorated with a wide scalloped black lace echoing two rows of wide gathered satin ribbon. This cape is fully lined on inside with a bubble gum pink ribbed silk. This cape is 21 inches long.
This was donated by Montine B Abildgaard who was born May 15, 1921 and died December 15, 2011. Her obituary says was born in Kinderlou. This cape looks as though it is circa 1880 so it must have belonged to someone in her past. Other items in the acquisition were also dated around circa 1880’s. Her parents were Shennie (1881-1961)and Martha Townsend Bass ( 1886-1963). John L Townsend and Nancy Loraine (1864-1908)Townsend from Pinetta, Florida were Montine’s maternal grandparents. Therefore, This could have belonged to her grandmother. See Capes

2016-51-24, Vallotton Collection

This is a  black silk print angel sleeve with fringe evening  short jacket, It appears to open in the back, closes with snaps, shaping, darts from bottom to bust line [lower shaping darts] and  lined with brown cotton lining.  The  back waist length 9 ¼” long, 23” high waist,  to be worn over a blouse and  full skirt waist indicated by a V vent in front. See Womans Fashion

UNK #1a & #1b,

Green & Black suit [jacket & skirt]

 

 

1905-1908
1a-This suit, matching jacket and gored skirt, are beautifully made and detailed. The  fitted jacket features a  high collar edged in black taffeta embroidery which also runs down center front. This jacket closes at the  front  with large hooks & eyes. Dark green wool bodice has black long sleeves with turned up cuffs in green wool trimmed with black embroidered taffeta. Black 7/8” wide flat braiding trims the front. The jacket length is  long and cut away in a geometric shape. The back of jacket also fitted with a shaped hem at hips and decorated with the flat trim. The inside is fully  lined with  black taffeta. Very tailored. Waist of jacket 27”, back waist length 15 ½”, bust 34”. Condition good
1b-The matching 18 gored Skirt  open 13 inches from bottom to give full skirt with a  fitted front through  waist and  hips. It closes in back with hooks & eyes. Hooks were embroidered over with thread. All skirt seams are  finished with fabric. . Hips 37 ¼”, length of skirt 35 ½”, width of bottom of skirt 130 ½”. Condition good See Woman’s Clothing

 

UNK #2 TB #2

Black floral netted and appliquéd leaf dress-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs. J. B. Jones could be Acq 85-460-1 Kathleen Bolton described as Black dress early 1900’s or 71-25-1-Miss Eloise Mallory this one described dress as Black Taffeta ladies 1870’s This dress is early 1900 with taffeta underlay. What is certain is that it is Mrs. JB Jones dress. The black underdress is of taffeta while the top layer is appliqued and embroidered leaves onto black netting. The collar is a high standing and supported collar with black beading. The front bodice balloons over at the waist suggesting a Gibson girl look very popular in the early 1900s. Mrs. Susan Elizabeth “Sadie” Young Jones was married to Jerry Jones who built a plantation and dam (Mill Pond) just north of town. The road Jerry Jones in Valdosta is named after this man and the road is located where his plantation once was. See Woman’s Clothing

TB 70 R1 Evacuation  Rose Collection 

1979-72-04 TB 70 E.P. Rose  Periwinkle dress

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This dress is in delicate condition and should be handled with the  support.

This dress’s protector shields are stamped: “Guaranteed by Mrs. A. H. Taylor Company, Bowling Green, KY, J 3 13 [June/July 3 1913]”. Carrie Burnam Taylor (1878-1917) was a well known dressmaker.  This periwinkle dress is made of a crepe looking background and damask flowers. For a detailed description of this dress and a chance to look at its construction, please see the woman’s fashion page.

This dress belonged to Caroline Smith Rose (1873-1943) who lived with her husband Elbert Pinkney Rose (1862-1930) at 1007 Patterson Street. This building still stands today. EP Rose was a business man. In the 1904 directory he was in turpentine manufacturing and again in 1908 it lists him in the naval stores but by 1913 he is listed in the Ingram Buggy and Harness Co (this building still stands in downtown) and President of Valdosta Fuel and Oil. In 1923 it lists him as President of the Bank of Valdosta.

1979-272-06, TB 70E.P. Rose Collection, Black silk skirt

 

This black silk taffeta six gourd  skirt is also from the EP Rose Collection probably belonging to Caroline Smith Rose family.   It is a  full length skirt which  closes in back with three  ½” hooks. and chain stitched eyes. Again  this skirt has beautiful construction common in this era, This skirt is  fully lined on inside with brown polished cotton made as one with skirt with pinked seams. The  back has a large pleat 4 ½” to allow for a bustle while the skirt back hem is also longer  to accommodate the bustle. The hem  is weighted and stiffened with heavy buckram. This assists to carry the two rows of 2 ” ruffle of black silk with matching double edged ruffle. To see more details please scroll to this item on the Woman’s Fashion page.

1979-272-05a-d TB 70 EP Rose Collection, Long Scarf-like pieces

Also included in this EP Rose collection is four narrow  white long fabric pieces possibly to be worn as a neck tie each of which is only decorated at the two ends. Our reprinted version of the 1897 Sears and Roebuck Catalog published in 1968, calls these “white mull ties” and are shown with the collars and cuffs page.
-05a, white cotton, 3 ¾” wide by 38 ½” long, selvedge edges lengtces that come to the museum are in perfect condition but are a clue to our textile history. Before discarding a piece that is not in perfect condition but may have historic value, please contact a museum, a university, and/or a library. Once the piece is gone the history may be lost forever!)hwise, ¼” double hem on ends decorate with entredeux (It is important  to note that not all the pie

-05b, white cotton 4” wide by 46 ½” long, selvedge edges lengthwise, ½” double hem on each end with ½” lace edging
-05c, white cotton, 3 ¾” wide by 43 ½” long, 1/16” double machine hemmed edge lengthwise, 2 ¼” eyelet floral/bow embroidery pattern on each highlighted with black, scalloped edge also highlighted in black.
-05d, white cotton 3 ½” wide by 44” long, 1/16” double machine hemmed edge lengthwise, ¼” double hem on ends with entredeux and ¾” lace edging

 

TB 25 R1 Evacuation Rose Collection 

 1979-272-01, E. P. Rose Estate TB 25 R1

 

This item is very fragile and should not be handled.

This black rouched silk taffeta blouse fastens in center front (concealed by cream colored heavy silk  with an overlay of black netted cotton lace featuring black embroidered lace flowers.  The collar is finished with a 7/8” rouching in black silk ribbon and fastens in back with hook and eyes. The faux bolero style jacket is finished with a  black silk rouching edging which is  gathered and sewn by hand.  The inside facing of jacket is sewn by hand. Leg-a-mutton sleeves are trimmed at cuff with rouching in a V and a 2 ½” plain silk flared cuff that is lined with the cream silk (inside).  The sleeve are made in two pieces but gathered at center to armhole as well as very full at cap.  The cream colored silk overlay with black netting lace is gathered at waistline and edged with a ½” silk band.  The whole waist is then trimmed with a 2 ¼” wide horizontally pleated band and fixed bow that attaches with a hook & eye. The  back is  constructed in six sections.  Silk pleated waist ends in back with a pretty knot. The back is also shaped into a  slight V in back at waist. There is no tag or  dressmaker stamp.

Please see the Woman’s Fashion page for more details and  photos.

 1979-272-02, E. P. Rose Estate TB 25 R1

This  black silk  blouse opens in front with large black 1.2” hooks & eyes concealed by center front panel.  Hooks sewn by hand individually every ½” with button hole thread.  The center front panel is configured of 1” large tucks gathered at waist front with two sets of gathering stitches by hand and ending in 1 7/8” ruffle. A large round yoke is inset with cream colored silk with overlay of black netting.  The black netting overlay has ½” inch tucks that come to a V. This round yoke is then finished with a 1 1/8” wide black beaded trim-possibly jet beads. This yoke  fastens  at shoulder sleeve and in one piece overlays the right bodice. The sleeves are constructed of  two pieces and are fairly fitted with the upper arm decorated by 15 1/8” tucks.  The cuff of the sleeve finishes with same beading in a narrow  scallop followed by gathered black cotton netting that is hemmed with a 1/4” cotton matt finish  ribbon.  Back bodice is constructed like a round yoke with large tucks that gather to the center back in a V.   Construction is carried out by machine and  hand stitches.  (machine for the seams but hand stitching on hems and inside finishes. For more details and pictures please see this in Woman’s Fashions

 

1979-272-03, E. P. Rose Estate TB 25 R1

This plain black tailored silk shirt opens to the bodice front which is decorated with 3 sets of tucks and a center front that is shaped with a scallop. The slightly puffed sleeves feature four horizontal tucks (1/4”) just below elbow.  There is no cuff but two decorative tabs with covered button fashionably decorated the sleeve hem.. The back consists of three sets of 1/4″  pleats with the center back set having four pleats instead of three.

For more information on this item see the Woman’s Fashion page

Silk Shawl with Silk Embroidery 77-163 TB 74R1Sd1

One of the oldest textiles in the Lowndes County Historical Museum Collection is an 1849 silk shawl with silk embroidery. The handwritten note with the shawl sketched a very interesting history. The original owner was Mary “Molly” Gapen and the item was donated by Mrs. Hank Worley and Miss Marion Worley. It further noted that “A brother of Mary Gapen sent the shawl to her while she was living  in Lewistown, ILL. and was off the first ship from China. In 1918 the Gapen sisters who were in California mailed it to Edith Tompkins Worley, the daughter of their deceased sister Mary Gapen.” When the museum staff further investigated the story, it was found that the first gold rush ship from China did arrive in California in 1849. Mary had one brother in the census who would have been old enough to leave his home in Green County, Pennsylvania to go to California; Thomas Gapen who was born May 3, 1833 and was 17 in 1849 and died in 1916. Harriet  A. Gapen, a sister of Mary is listed in the San Francisco, California Residence Physicians or Surgeon Occupational Licenses, California Medical College as receiving a diploma in April 25, 1883 and her certificate issued 14 June 1883.  Another sister Elizabeth Gapen born 1823 and  died Jan. 1, 1906 also lived in California, but died  before the shawl was sent to Mary’s daughter. This does; however, confirm Mary’s sisters  location in California.

Mary was born in 1831 to the parents of  Zachariah T.  Gapan and Margaret.   He was born in 1798  in Chest, Clearfield, Penn. and  died in Rushville, ILL. the  22nd of  October, 1846. Margaret McGeer, his wife and Mary’s mother  was born in 1803 and  died July 12, 1851 in Miles, Nebraska at age 48. Mary was the oldest of at least 9 children.

Mary Gapan married Dr. Charles Brown Tompkins November 19, 1861 and they lived in Lewistown, ILL where she was a teacher. Her husband, a surgeon, enlisted in the 17th Illinois Infantry May 25, 1861(before their marriage) and was mustered out June 4th, 1864 to reenlist with the 55th Illinois Infantry December 7th, 1864 in Savannah, Ga and was mustered out in Little Rock, Arkansas. During his service in the Civil War, he was stationed at Vicksburg  and wrote many letters home to his wife. The collection of letters is housed at Duke University.  A picture of Mary “Molly” Gapen Tompkins can be found in the book Vicksburg: 47 Days of Siege by A.A. Hoehling.

How the museum receive this fine shawl, more information and photos can be seen on this web site by clicking here.

Paisley Shawl 1980-290 TB74R1Sd1

Another interesting woven textile is a multicolored wool paisley shawl. This paisley shawl was worn for warmth in high fashion at the beginning of Valdosta’s history. The enormous woven shawl measures over 10 feet long and 5 feet wide. It was donated to the museum by Mrs. Virginia Green Sparkman in 1980. For more photographs, please see the  Shawl page by clicking here. 

Valdosta/ Washington DC Shawl 2010-26-009 Louie Peeple White Collection 

Although this shawl  is Circa 1970’s, it is located in the evacuation shawl box due to historical history it represents and the person who owned the shawl. Louie Peeples White (Jan 27, 1920- Aug 12, 2009), a cheerleader for Valdosta High Wildcats Football team and honor graduate in 1937 continued to cheer for Valdosta the rest of her life. She joined the Red Cross and during WWII worked with the Rainbow Corner Red Cross Club in London.

.  At the Rainbow Club, she met Arthur White, who was working for the Stars and Stripes and later the Associated Press and they were married. After the war Arthur White worked for Time Magazine and the couple lived in Washington, DC. While there, Louie sponsored “The Valdosta Party” for the city and chamber officials as well as former Valdosta residents who lived in Washington, DC. She kept these contacts and later when she moved back to Valdosta she  helped  organize trips to Washington.

This shawl reflects that part of her history. Fabric  azaleas are appliqued with the words Valdosta embroidered on one side of the front of the shawl and  cherry blossoms with Washington D .C embroidered on the other side. For more information on Louie Peeples White, please see the Red Cross Section of this web site by clicking here.