John Taylor Roberts, son of William Roberts and Margaret Devane, was born July 18, 1850. He married Catherine Margaret Young, on October 25, 1883. Roberts operated a lumber mill in Mineola, later moving to Valdosta, where he established a general merchandising store. He was a partner in the firm Roberts, Cranford & Dasher – dealers engaged in buggy sales. He operated the first Buick agency in Valdosta, was one of the first directors of the First National Bank, and served as a city councilman for six terms. Under his administration as mayor the Carnegie Library was built, the South Georgia Normal College (now VSU) was founded, and the health department was formed. He also lived in the historic J.T. Roberts house, the oldest in Valdosta, in the Fairview District downtown. Roberts died January 19, 1920.