Thomas A. Faries (1830-1913) 1972-037 TB 32,33,96 R1 AB 152-156
The museum is proud to archive the T.A. Faries Collection. Within his artifacts are personal papers such as poetry, communications, and drawings. This collection also contains military reports, newspaper clippings, and sketches of the civil war and post civil war periods. In addition, two bugles as well as original sheet music for bugle and fife document T.A. Faries varied talents and interests. Two of his Civil War uniforms, and two post Civil War uniforms, and flags belonging to T.. A Faries are also archived within this collection.
Though some of his textiles are exhibited here, the museum is diligently preparing to include a portion of his documents on the web site as well. T.A. Faries is featured within the museum’s Civil War Exhibit now on display located on the main floor.
The set of pictures below are of T. A .Faries’ Civil War Uniform. This uniform contains a vest as well as the pants and jacket.
T.A. Faries Lieutenant Colonel uniform features two stars on each side of the collar indicating his rank. In addition, the red pipping signifies him serving in the artillery. The pants and the jacket are made by hand. Faries was promoted to this rank on March 25, 1865 and therefore dates this uniform within this time period.
Below shows a dress uniform T.A. Faries used after the Civil War. This includes his hat, coat, and pants. The double breasted tunic coat has the maker as Philinn Leber and boasts Waterbury buttons with one star. According to page 108 of the book American Military Button Makers and Dealers: Their Backmarks and Dates by William F McGuinn, the buttons date between 1870-1900. Faires documentation archived at the museum shows him as Assistant Adjunct General commissioned December 7, 1884 and promoted to Inspector General in 1891. Using the date range from the buttons, this uniform was probably Faires Assistant Adjutant General Uniform.
Below are photos of T.A. Faries hat and sword cords.
These are photos from the T.A. Faries Collection of belts.
Photos below are of T. A. Faries shoulder epaulettes which are not attached to a uniform.
Below are T.A.Faries sword cases. He had his name printed on the front of one and on the inside of the other one.
This large collection also contains several hats shown below.
Thomas Alrich Faries, born in Savannah, Georgia in 1830 was the ninth child to the parents of Georgia Grieves Faries (1792-1860) and Sarah Ann Alrich (1796-1858). T A. Faries married Ella Isaacetta Hilliard (1840-1868) who died at a young age being married only a short time. It is evident by his later poetry and writings that Faries mourned Ella’s death all his life and never remarried. Thomas A. Faries died in Valdosta, Georgia July 15, 1913 at age 82 and is buried in the West End Cemetery in Quitman, Georgia.
It is interesting to note how the museum obtained this collection. T.A . Faries spent most of his life in the army in Louisiana. Having no children, he moved to Valdosta, Georgia late in his life near his sister Susannah Canby Faries.
A sketch of Susannah Canby Faries is recorded by Miss Willie Allbritton in the History of Brooks County,1858-1948 by Folks Huxford. According the Miss Allbritton, Susannah, the sister of T. A. Faries, married Benjamin Waters Sinclair who had immigrated to the United States from Scotland in 1837. After they were married in 1842, they immediately moved to the Morven, Georgia. (At this time, Morven was still part of Lowndes County.) Susannah and Benjamin Sinclair had nine children among them their third daughter was Susan Evalyn who married Mr. Thomas Shepard Quarterman. They had seven children and eventually moved to Valdosta where they are buried. One of Susan and Thomas Quarterman’s sons was Dr. Peter Clark Quarterman (1883-1949) who had a son Peter Clark Quarterman Jr.
Thomas A. Faries left his belongings to his great-niece Williamina (Willie) Sinclair Allbritton (1880-1969) Willie Allbritton left T.A. Faries effects to Peter Clark Quarterman Jr. In 1972, Peter Clark Quarterman Jr. generously donated the Faries collection to the museum.