Click on blue links to see online exhibits on related topics on our website.
• Lots of 490 acres in Irwin County went to lucky winners in the Land Lottery. If a man’s name was drawn with a lot number he paid a fee of $18 to the state and gained the lot.
• Lowndes County was created on December 23 from the southern part of Irwin County.
• Following an election, county clerks, a tax collector, sheriff, coroner and surveyor were sworn in as the first officials of the newly formed County of Lowndes.
• Franklinville, the first county seat, was laid out near the Withlacoochee River in the northeast section of the county.
• Troupville became the county seat of Lowndes. By 1860, the tree-lined village at the confluence of the Little and Withlacoochee Rivers thrived with a court house, a famous hotel “Tranquil Hall”, several stores and shops, and a newspaper, The South Georgia Watchman.
• The first Baptist congregation was organized in Troupville by seven charter members, two of whom were black slaves.
• Clinch County was formed from parts of Lowndes and Ware County.
• Berrien and Colquitt Counties were created from parts of Lowndes.
• Brooks County was created form Lowndes and Thomas Counties and Echols from Lowndes and Clinch.
• The city of Valdosta was incorporated by the Legislature on December 7.
• The engine known as Satilla Number Three pulled the first Atlantic and Gulf train into Valdosta.
• I.H. Tillman and C.H.M. Howell, Lowndes County delegates to Georgia’s secession convention, voted with the majority for withdrawal from the union.
• Lt. Reuben T. Roberds, who had been the first mayor of Valdosta, died at Knoxville, TN, as an officer of the “Valdosta Guards”.
• Refugees from Liberty County, hit hard by Sherman’s march to the sea, organized what came to be known as the First Presbyterian Church in Valdosta.
• James L. Pierpont taught music in Valdosta. He was later to compose “Jingle Bells”.
• Federal troops of Company “G”, 103rd U.S. Colored Troops, were stationed in Valdosta.
• Samuel McWhir Varnedoe founded the county’s first real school, the Valdosta Institute.
• The South Georgia Times, predecessor to the Valdosta Daily Times, started publication.
• Alvin B. Clark, the last agent of the Freedman’s Bureau for Lowndes, Brooks and Berrien Counties resigned and became tax collector.
• Fire in the office of the Ordinary, W. H. Dasher, destroyed records of the County.
• A brick Court House was built on the Court House Block and was used until a new one was built in 1904-05.
• The Lowndes Volunteers, a home guard militia group, was organized with uniforms modeled after West Point.
• The census reported the Naylor community had a population of 1,688 and the Valdosta community a population of 1,515.
• The town purchased the private Valdosta Institute, thereby establishing a public school system.
• The Georgia Southern and Florida Railroad arrived in Valdosta from the north, expanding trade and business greatly.
• The Valdosta Videttes, a voluntary military company commanded by James O. Varnedoe, drilled on the public square between Ashley and Lee Streets.
• Valdosta’s first City Hall was constructed
• The Valdosta City Council authorized the erection of poles, wiring and other equipment by the Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company and the Valdosta Telegraph Company.
• Ringling Brothers Circus appeared in Valdosta for the first time.
• B.F. Strickland incorporated the iconic cotton mill in Remerton.
• The Valdosta Street Railway Company secured the right to operate street cars on Toombs, Patterson, Ashley, Lee, Troup, Hill, Central, Crane and Gordon Streets.
• A fire in Lake Park destroyed 14 buildings in the business section.
• The state fair attracted visitors from considerable distances to see the area’s arts and industries, prize winning livestock and long staple Sea Island cotton.
• Local citizens celebrated the arrival of the Atlantic, Valdosta and Western railroad. The third line to arrive in the county.
• The Wymodausis Club, the first women’s club in Valdosta, organized and elected Mrs. Mattie R. Stevens president.
• Valdosta Chapter 471, United Daughters of the Confederacy, was organized.
• The City Council passed the first sanitary ordinance upon completion of the new sewer line.
• Valdes Hotel opened at the corner of Toombs and Hill Avenue.
• Gypsy, a circus elephant, belonging to a traveling show, went on a rampage through Valdosta.
• Street paving began on Hill Avenue, using “vitrified bricks” and granite curbing.
• Construction began on the Lowndes County Courthouse.
• The 4-story McKey building in downtown Valdosta was built from Florida orange grove profits
• The Valdosta High School on Central Avenue was built.
• The first paid fire department was established with one chief and four firemen.
• The Valdosta Times began printing a daily newspaper.
• Lowndes County went dry after local ministers and church women conducted a campaign that overwhelmingly convinced voters to support Prohibition.
• Rabbi Levine was called to Valdosta to minister to the Jewish community, which consisted of about 16 families by 1913.
• J. N. Bray Lumber Company was established
• The General James Jackson Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was organized.
• The Valdosta City Council set speed limits at eight miles an hour within the fire limits and twelve miles an hour beyond.
• The Post Office and Federal Building at the corner of Lee Street and Central Avenue was completed. The structure now serves as the Valdosta City Hall.
• The Confederate Memorial constructed by the UDC on the courthouse square was dedicated.
• The Lowndes County Board of Health was created.
• The Valdosta-Lowndes County Chamber of Commerce was established J. T. Blalock was the first president.
• South Georgia State Normal College (now VSU) opened.
• Valdosta High School fielded its first football team.
• Col. W. S. West appointed U.S. Senator
• The Carnegie Library of Valdosta opened
• South Georgia Pecan Company was established.
• Little-Griffin Hospital was erected on North Patterson Street.
• The boll weevil fist appeared in Lowndes County cotton fields. The crop of 1917 was devastated.
• Georgia and Florida Railroad hired a tobacco expert to assist farmers in handling flue-cured tobacco.
• The Valdosta Country Club was organized.
• Five prominent Valdosta businessmen and civic leaders: William S. West, Lowndes W. Shaw, Leonard F. Shaw, Daniel C. Ashley, and Owen K. Jones donated 11 acres to the city to create a public park on Brookwood Drive. The park was renamed for Richard J. Drexel in 1979
• Lowndes County supplied timber, naval stores, cotton, and food stuffs to the war effort. Nearly 1,300 men and women from Lowndes County served in the armed forces.
• West Hall was completed at Georgia State Womans College and was named in honor of U.S. Senator William S. West.
• Lanier County was formed from Lowndes, Berrien and Clinch Counties.
• Twenty-one charter members established the Rotary Club of Valdosta.
• The Valdosta High School on Williams Street was built.
• South Georgia State Normal College became a four year institution and was renamed Georgia State Womans College.
• The first tobacco market in Lowndes County opened in Hahira.
• The Salvation Army began operations in Valdosta.
• The Daniel Ashley Hotel, the social center of Valdosta for many years, was constructed.
•The Ritz, Valdosta’s grand theater, (not to be confused with the Dosta Theatre) opened downtown.
• Emory Junior College in Valdosta was established. The former institution is now the north campus of Valdosta State University.
• The City Council purchased 500 acres of land on the Madison Highway for an airport.
• American Legion Home built.
• Lowndes County became involved in the Civil Works Administration, a federally created work relief program that employed men and women hard hit by the depression.
• The first electric traffic signals were installed in Valdosta.
• The W.P.A. operated sewing rooms in Valdosta, Hahira and Lake Park, giving jobs to unemployed women and producing thousands of garments to be distributed to persons in need of clothing.
• Harley Langdale and others formed the American Turpentine Farmers Association.
• Eleanor Roosevelt dedicated the new library at The Georgia State Woman’s College.
• Moody Field opened as a pilot training base during WWII.
• The Valdosta Victory ship, named in recognition of the community’s support for war bond sales, was christened at the Bethlehem Steel Shipyard in Baltimore
• National Airlines inaugurated commercial air service to Valdosta.
• Georgia State Womans College became a coed institution and was renamed Valdosta State College.
• In October, the first carload of pulpwood was delivered to National Container Corp., which later became Owens-Illinois.
• Pineview General Hospital, now South Georgia Medical, opened.
• Groundbreaking held for Valdosta Area Vocational – Technical School (now Wiregrass Georgia Technical College).
• Interstate Route 75 into Florida was officially opened
• Seven thousand citizens turned out to greet the wife of U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson when the “Lady Bird Special” railroad tour stopped in the area.
• Several county high schools were consolidated to form the current Lowndes High School.
• Five Points Shopping Center opened at the convergence of North Patterson, Ashley and Oak Streets.
• The Post Office and Federal courthouse and offices moved to new home on Patterson Street from 1910 post office.
• Valdosta High School and Pinevale High School were consolidated.
• Coach Wright Bazemore retired after leading the Valdosta Wildcats to nearly 300 victories and 14 state championships.
• The Valdosta High School campus on Forrest Street opened.
• Valdosta Municipal Airport opened expanded facilities, and Southern Airways instituted jet service.
• The former Valdosta High School on Williams Street was destroyed by fire.
• Converse Hall, the first building constructed at South Georgia State Normal College (VSU) in 1913 was destroyed in a fire.
• The Chamber of Commerce opened their office in the renovated historic E.R. Barber House.
• The first official “Winnersville Classic” football game between Lowndes and Valdosta High School was held.
• The James M. Beck overpass opened downtown
• The Valdosta Mall opened
• The Converse-Dalton-Ferrell home was added to the national register of historic places
• Valdosta State College received university status, becoming Valdosta State University.
• The Olympic torch was taken through Valdosta on its way to Atlanta for the Centennial Olympic summer games
• Census data representing the population growth in the region resulted in Valdosta being named a Metropolitan Area.
• Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue declared Valdosta the states first “Entrepreneur Friendly Community.”
• Valdosta was awarded the honor of “Titletown” by ESPN for the community’s overwhelming athletic successes.
Pictorial History of Lowndes County 1825-1975,
Valdosta-Lowndes County Chamber of Commerce timelines published in the Valdosta Daily Times, July 31, 1988 and April 26, 1992,
and the Lowndes County Historical Museum archives.